Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cops Subdue Young Teen

Fox news showed a story recently about the arrest of a 14 year old African American boy, which unfortunately lead to a physical confrontation between the officers and the young man.

www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/wupw_caught_on_tape_family_wants_justice_sharia_davis_may_2009

As stated by the reporter, we don't know all the facts, or how and why this incident escalated into a physical confrontation. I did notice two aspects of the video which are concerning. I am not a TPD academy graduate, or an OHP graduate. I attended the police academy in another state, however, most PMA tactics (Physical Means of Arrest) are standardized; and choking techniques are not generally taught anymore.

The video shows one officer both choking and smothering (hand over mouth) the subject. This is a problem. Granted, in a struggle technique often gets thrown out the window and in tough struggles at times you have to do what it takes to survive, but as shown the incident does not appear to be at a high enough level to require or justify choking. Chokes are very dangerous, and can lead to terrible, unintended consequences.

I don't have the facts of this incident, but as it developed, there are some problems to be addressed. If TPD teaches or allows chokes, then perhaps this arrest was within policy. The smothering is both dangerous (human bites are very infectious) and unnecessary. While there is rarely a legitimate or smart reason to struggle with police, if the hood was hot enough to burn this young man's face, PERHAPS, it is understandable why he would continue to raise his head off the vehicle.

Regardless, I hope this incident is used in a positive way to address tactics, decision making, and techniques for TPD.

TAHL

4 comments:

Peahippo said...

Firstly, "choking" is a standard method of restraint. Sure, it is not generally used on, say, a highly-placed court justice when she drives away from arresting officers, but in general, when you fight with the cops, you end up with a big guy having you in some sort of wrestling hold, and in my experience, that ends up being uncomfortable.

Secondly, I have in on good authority that the hand-over-the-mouth thing is due to the suspect having SPAT upon the officers in question. Take that as you will.

Thirdly, both arresting officers were ALSO "African American", so I'm having real trouble here with why the RACE of the suspect is even worth mentioning. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me as to WHY his race was so pertinent?

KraZyKaT said...

The point being that if the officers are going to be accused of Police brutality based on an after the fact video of what occurred then I can just as easily make the assumption that this 14 year old kid was some little Gang Banger taking advantage of the police layoffs ("75 down they own this town") and who made threating remarks to the Police Officers. They reacted in the way they were trained when their safety is at risk. It doesn't matter if the recipient of the Police action is 14 or 41 years old when a Cops life is threatened. If you want to play in the Majors step up to the plate and expect a fast ball! I want to hear the whole story and for the truth to come out.

Mad Jack said...

I see we have more than one voice of sanity here. I agree with AHL about the choke hold and the hand over the mouth.

The problem with this scenario is that there is only one poorly shot video available and it doesn't show the entire incident. The cops will explain their actions one way while Trevor Casey and his lawyer will explain things a little differently.

Cynical Counsel said...

Peahippo:

I didn't make a single comment on race. I don't believe this incident has anything to do with race, although, the only reason critics are not blaming race is because the officers were African American. I have no basis to "enlighten you" as ot why race is pertinent, I don't believe it is.

I have dealt with spitting offenders several ways, none of which involved placing my hand over their mouth and nose, mainly because that is more dangerous to me than getting spit upon.

If the tone of my post presents as critical of the officers, or supportive of the young man's actions, it wasn't written well enough to convey my thoughts. I meant to comment on the techniques used, the policy and health implication of them, not to attack the individual officers.

We don't have the facts. Fighting, resisting, or obstructing the police is never a smart decision. And, eventually (regardless of public opinion) the department will take a look and take appropriate action. I just hope they officers are not lead to the slaughter as scapegoats.

Thanks for reading, and keep on posting.

TAHL